Architecture of Vancouver
In 1885 Granville was selected by the Canadian Pacific Railway to be the western terminus of the transcontinental railway commissioned by the government of Canada under the leadership of Prime Minister Sir John A. MacDonald. The CPR selected the new name “Vancouver”, in part because the existence of Vancouver Island nearby would help identify the location to easterners. On April 6, 1886, the city was incorporated under that name; the first regular transcontinental train from Montreal arrived at a temporary terminus at Port Moody in July 1886, and service to Vancouver itself began in May 1887. A fire devastated much of the city on June 13, 1886, but with the arrival of the railway, Vancouver soon recovered and began to grow rapidly due to access to Canadian markets. Additionally, as part of the agreement to join the Confederation, British Columbia’s debt of approximately $1,000,000 was paid in full by the Canadian government, creating additional business opportunities.
1898 – Canadian Pacific Railway Station, Vancouver, British Columbia
The second CPR station in Vancouver, and unlike the current classical-styled Waterfront Station was built in “railway gothic”
1899 – Molsons Bank Building, Vancouver, British Columbia
Designed for Quebec-based bank Molsons on West Hastings Street, and demolished in 1973.
1909 – Hotel Europe, Vancouver, British Columbia
Angelo Calori commissioned this building as an hotel, his name and commissioning date is inscribed above the main doorway.
1910 – Former Post Office Building, West Hastings Street, Vancouver
An Edwardian Baroque style building, combining English and French architectural influences. Construction began in 1905, was completed by 1910,
1911 – First Baptist Church, Nelson St., Vancouver
On April 2, 1910, John Morton laid the cornerstone for the new church, and shortly over a year later,
1912 – The Sylvia Hotel, Vancouver, British Columbia
Originally built as an apartment block, the Sylvia Court, it was converted to an hotel during the Depression of the 1930’s.
1912 – Vancouver Block, Vancouver, British Columbia
Designed by the architectural firm of Parr and Fee – a partnership of John Parr (1856-1923),
1914 – Canadian Pacific Station, Vancouver, British Columbia
Now known as Waterfront station, this was originally the Pacific terminus for the CPR’s transcontinental passenger trains to Montreal and Toronto.
1915 – Canadian Bank of Commerce, Vancouver
Now a branch of Birks. Listed on the Registry of Historical Places of Canada. Darling &