1823 – Mitchelstown Castle, Mitchelstown, Co. Cork
Architect: James Pain & George Pain
In 1823,
In 1823,
Unbuilt design by the Pains –
Built as a Court House and jail (bridewell) in 1824-1828 to a design by Cork-based architect George R.
Also known as Holy Trinity Church.
Also known as Elm Park.
Constructed in 1828 over a spring well –
Very much in the style of George Pain’s other country house castles.
Work began around 1822 and cost about 50,000 to complete.
An excellent classical portico supported by six Corinthian columns,
The current seven-arch bridge was built in 1836,