Frederick G. Hicks (1870-1965)
Lord Edward Street Dublin
McDonnell & Reid
O'Callaghan & Webb
1850 – Chapel, St Mary’s Hospital, Phoenix Park, Dublin
1913 – Dublin Municipal Offices Competition
Architect: McDonnell & Reid, Frederick G. Hicks, O’Callaghan & Webb
The placed entries in a competition to design new offices for the then Dublin Corporation on Lord Edward Street, close to City Hall. The winning design by Macdonnell & Reid was never built. The second placed entry by Frederick Hicks and third placed entry by O’Callaghan & Webb are superior in design in many ways, notably O’Callaghan & Webb’s design. O’Callaghan & Webb were the third placed entry skilfully incorporating the Newcomen Bank building at the Corner of Castle Street and Lord Edward Street. Published in The Irish Builder & Engineer, April 19th, 1913.