1913 – Switzer’s Department Store, Grafton St., Dublin
The former department store first opened its doors way back in 1838 at 91 Grafton Street and later acquired the building at Grafton Street and Wicklow Street. Extended over the years mainly by Donnelly & Moore under who it acquired most of its finished appearance and interior layout around 1911-1913. In 1990 another venerable Dublin department store Brown Thomas purchased the Switzer Group which was owned by the Al Fayed brothers, who also owned Harrod’s of London. Eventually a large portion of the building was demolished and rebuilt as Brown Thomas who moved across Grafton Street extinguishing the Switzer’s name. Some original signage still exists on the Wicklow Street facade.