Edward H. Carson (1822-1881)

Carson’s obituary in The Irish Builder was remarkably detailed – some of his peers received rather vague descriptions of their lives and works. “On the 16th ult, the remains of the above named gentleman were removed from his late residence in Harcourt-street for interment in Mount Jerome Cemetery. Mr. Carson was a pupil of the late William Deane Butler, of St. Stephen’s-green, and had followed the practice of his profession as architect and civil engineer for many years in this city. His name has not been known in connection with many public buildings, but we may mention that from his plans and under his superintendence the parish church of St. Peter in Aungier-street was remodelled some years ago, when it received an entirely new front with a neat clock tower. The large east window still awaits the stone-carver’s chisel to render it quite complete. The townhall for the Pembroke Township, situate at Ball’s Bridge, although not one of large dimensions, may be cited as a fair example of the skill of the deceased architect. In our issue of September 1st, 1879, we gave a perspective view of this building, accompanied by descriptive particulars. Mr. Carson was a Commissioner of Pembroke Township from the time of its formation. As a member of the Dublin Corporation he had represented the burgesses of the Fitzwilliam Ward for a few years. His funeral was largely attended by personal friends, members of the legal and medical professions, a few T.C.’s, but, alas ! the architectural and engineering professions were almost entirely unrepresented. The chief mourners were:—Mr. Wm.L. Carson, Mr. Edward H. Carson, and Mr. J. S. Carson (sons of deceased), Rev. J. Carson (brother), Mr. Peter Lambert (brother-in law), Mr. Peter L. Lambert, of Castle Ellen, and Mr. Thos. Dunne (nephews).”