Sir Charles Lanyon (1813-1889)

Obituary from The Irish Builder – “THE death of this distinguished architect and C.E. took place on the 2nd inst., at his residence, The Abbey, Whiteabbey, County Antrim. The late Sir Charles, whose illness extended over several months, was in his seventy-seventh year, having been born at Eastbourne, Sussex, in 1813. He served his apprenticeship as a civil engineer and architect under the late Mr. Jacob Owen, in the Office of Public Works, Dublin. Having been appointed to the position of county surveyor for Antrim, he went to reside in Belfast in the year 1835. This office he resigned in the year 1860, but still continued the practice of his profession, and was for more than half a century prominently connected with public and social life in the Counties of Down and Antrim, where many lasting monuments to his skill and ability are to be seen. Sir Charles had been for some years in partnership with Mr. Lynn, and also with his son Mr. John Lanyon. Sir Charles was a past-president of the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland, and represented Belfast in Parliament from 1866 till 1868. In him was found a warm and liberal supporter for many benevolent institutions, by whom as well as by his professional colleagues much regret is expressed at his departure from amongst us”