1863 – Railway Station, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary



Nenagh was one of the larger towns to be served by the Great Southern & Western Railway line from Limerick to Ballybrophy. It opened on the 5th of October 1863.

The station originally consisted of up & down platforms, with the main station building, a two storey stone built structure, and a signal cabin, located on the up side. The buildings consist of a two-storey station house with a platform canopy supported on cast iron columns, a goods shed and a disused cast iron footbridge. At the north end of the station were extensive goods yards and a locomotive depot. In 1989, Nenagh signal cabin was closed and the loop serving the down platform was removed and all sidings but one within the goods yard were lifted.