William Deane Butler (1793-1857)
1730 – Damer House, Roscrea, Co. Tipperary
1869 – Church of St. Cronan, Roscrea, Co. Tipperary
Architect: William Deane Butler / John Sterling Butler
Work on Roscrea’s fine Roman Catholic church took many years, with the foundation stone being laid in 1843. However the Famine stalled work, and it wasn’t dedicated until 1855. The Interior work was completed by William Deane Butler’s son, John in the early 1860s. The altars were later added by J.J. McCarthy in 1869. Much of the interiors have survived intact, although the church interior has anunfortunate colour scheme. The stained glass windows in the church are by Mayer of Munich and Early of Dublin.