1887 – Guildhall, Derry
The Guildhall was originally built in 1887 by The Honourable The Irish Society at a cost of £19,000.00 and was officially opened in July 1890. Originally designed by John Guy Ferguson, the elaborate Gothic window to the south is by M.A. Robinson who restored the building after a fire in 1908. Bombed twice in 1972, the building was refurbished and reopened in 1977 at a cost of £1.7m. Fashioned in neo gothic style it is one of the most striking buildings in the northwest of Ireland. Housed in the Guildhall are some fine examples of stained glass windows. Decorated with Drumfrese sandstone, marble, oak panelling and ornate ceilings, the Guildhall is the premier tourist attraction in Derry.