Ormond Quay Dublin

This is named after James Butler, the 1st Duke of Ormonde (1610-1688); three times Lord Lieutenant of Ireland who insisted that the houses built on the north bank of the Liffey faced the river. Sir Humphrey Jervis developed Ormond Quay under a lease of 1674. Jervis had originally intended to build the terraces with their backs to the river, but Ormonde persuaded him that to build them facing the river, leaving the street open to the water as a quay. The nearby Ormonde Square is similarly named and for many years was the site of the Ormonde Markets.