1970s Central Bank modification

Home Forums Ireland 1970s Central Bank modification

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Andrew Duffy
      Participant

Here’s a question for the older members of the forum. In 1974 a public hearing decided that the Central Bank was to be reduced in height from 176 ft to 146 ft or less. It is my understanding that the building was already under construction at the time, and that it was essentially built from the top down.
      If this is the case, how was the reduction carried out?

alastair
      Participant

they didn’t put the cladding on the roof. It only went up in the last ten years or so.

Personally I thought it looked better without.

disclaimer: I’m not an architect, and it might not be called ‘cladding’, but the ‘stuff’ that covers the steel structure on the roofline.

Paul Clerkin
      Keymaster

I don’t think the entire reduction was carried out… but it resulted in the very weird roofline that existed until the late 1980s / early 1990s with the roof structure being outside the roof surface.. this was an attempt to reduce the height…. then a new roof was placed over the structure after a damp problem….

cover of magazine at time of completion
      “Architecture in Ireland” No.2 1980

Andrew Duffy
      Participant

Was anything already constructed modified or was it just the design?

Rory W
      Participant

If memory serves (must consult the Destruction of Dublin on this one) the roof superstructure was left exposed because they had already built up 30 ft above the height they had permisssion for – so the overall effect was that the building was less high than it actually was.

The non clad roof was a strange structure it looked like handles on a box that someone might pick up some day

dc3
      Participant

From deep in the memory comes a figure of 18 feet (remember them) actually reduced, – compared to the 30 requested, emerging as a compromise deal

Andrew Duffy
      Participant

I unearthed The Destruction of Dublin from its hiding place and got the details:
      The initial permission given for the Dame St site was for a 176 ft, 13 storey tower. Planning appeals were upheld. Permission was then granted for a 120ft, 8 storey tower looking rather like the current building but with a lower parapet and a flat roof. Sisk were given plans for a 149ft, 8 storey tower looking exactly like the current building, copper-clad roof and all.
      In order to compromise, the roof was left unclad to slightly reduce the height. Later, to remedy rainwater problems caused by the building having no roof, the copper cladding of the plan presented to Sisk was put on. Thus the Government confirmed that they could break the law if they wanted to.
      Thankfully the resulting building is better than the Civic Offices or the Fitzwilliam St building. I’m not sure about the (former?) Bord na Mona HQ he designed (according to The Destruction of Dublin) since I don’t know where it is.

Paul Clerkin
      Keymaster

Bord na Mona HQ is now O2 on Baggot Street near the bridge.

GregF
      Participant

I remember the Bord na Mona edifice had quite a good bronze sculpture of a figure cutting the bog on a ledge outside connected to the building…….well modelled it would put the Molly Malone sculptor to shame ….aka Jean Rhynhardt……..alas it is gone ……but it is a stylish building in a way …designed by Sam Stephenson was it ?…….but if fine Georgian buildings were forfeited well then it was a disgrace.

MG
      Participant

Not sure what was on the site of the former Bord Na Mona HQ. Wasn’t it featured on a postage stamp back in the 1980s? Theme was modern architecture, think the other stamp was the Church at Cong Co. Mayo.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest News