1961 – Cork Airport, Ballygarvan, Co. Cork

Architect: Department of Transport and Power

0518

0515051605170519

After a long drawn out process from the late 1930s, in January 1954 the Department finally announced that the airport would be located at Ballygarvan, four miles south of the city. The top of Lehanagh Hill, six hundred feet above sea level, began to change its appearance as the bulldozers went to work levelling the site, skimming the tops and filling in the troughs. The buildings constructed included the control tower, offices, terminal building, restaurant, and a customs hall. Designed with two viewing platforms which were later closed for security reasons. Possibly designed by Leo M. Carroll of the Civil Aviation Section at the Department of Transport and Power. Opened officially on 16th October 1961.