1921 – George Cooney Garage, Kells, Co. Meath
“The new garage recently erected in Kells for Messrs George Cooney Ltd is situated in Bective Street adjoining the railway station on a site roughly 200 feet square. The new buildings are set back 40 feet from the street line the fore ground, being suitably laid out and planted, with entrance and exit drive enclosed by ornamental piers, wrought iron gates, and railings. Inside the entrance gate is fixed a petrol pump where petrol supplies can be had without entering the garage. The buildings are laid out with a central block containing large showroom 40 ft x 25 ft on the left lighted by large plate glass windows with writing room and lavatory attached. On the right are situated the public and private offices with lavatories and store for spares 25 ft x 17 ft 6 ins and over the central archway are placed the caretaker’s apartments. The offices are to be built of brick work with red brick and artificial stone dressings with cream rough cast finish and red tiled roof. The central entrance leads direct into the garage 200 ft x 40 ft divided into three sections which is now completed built of concrete and brickwork with steel framed roof carried on steel stanchions on one side for future extension and with a glazed lantern 16 feet wide finished externally with red asbestos slates and cream rough cast. An entrance is situated off the side road with 18 feet wide sliding doors hung on Cobourn hangers. The offices are flanked on each side with a pair of four roomed gabled cottages now nearing completion for the foreman and chief mechanic finished in cream rough cast with steel sashes and red tiled roof. Mr Henry J Lyons Dublin was the architect for the work.” The Irish Builder, March 12, 1921. The original building is still discernible today and is in use as retail units..