1666 – Old Market Cross, Newtownards, Co. Down
The originalMarket Cross was built in 1636 but was destroyed by Commonwealth troops in 1653. The original building was less than 11 feet tall and octagonal in shape with a low door and staircase leading to the roof. The present replacement building was finished around 1666. Originally it would have resembled the Mercat crosses of Scotland before the conical rood was added in the early 19th century. The conical roof was probably used as an office or shelter for the town’s night watchmen. The ground levels around the building has risen over the years.