1872 – Church of the Sacred Heart & Saint Brigid, Kilcullen, Co. Kildare
The foundation stone was laid by Cardinal Cullen on 9th August 1869, and opened on 6th September 1872. A tower and spire were also part of J.J. McCarthy’s plan for this church but was never built. The Blessed Virgin Mary Chapel was added in 1885. The stained glass windows depicting the Immaculate Conception. Sacred Heart, Holy Family and Crucifixion are the work of Joshua Clarke. Many of the original 19th century interior fittings are still intact.
Believed to be the inspiration for St Patrick’s Church in Hamilton, Ontario by McCarthy’s student Joseph Connolly who worked on Kilcullen.