1843 – Mallow Castle, Mallow, Co. Cork
The third Mallow Castle, and built on the site of their former stable block by by Sir Charles Denham Orlando Jephson-Norreys, an amateur architect, possibly with some input from Edward Blore. The second house was badly damaged by fire during the Williamite War and subsequently abandoned by the Jephsons.
The “New” Mallow Castle is a baronial mansion house and described by Mark Bence-Jones as ‘a remarkably convincing reproduction of vernacular late C16 or early C17 architecture’. The new castle boasted eight reception rooms, including a library, music room, billiard room, and twelve bedrooms.
Now owned by Cork County Council.