1895 – Great Northern Hotel, Warrenpoint, Co. Down
Warrenpoint and Rostrevor were popular seaside holiday destinations. The railway companies built hotels and many local women opened boarding houses in the three seaside resorts at Warrenpoint, Rostrevor and Omeath on Carlingford Lough. A horse-drawn tramway linked the rail-head in Warrenpoint with Rostrevor between 1877 and 1915. By the late 19th century there were seven hotels in Warrenpoint and three in Rostrevor, with the Great Northern Railway operating one in each town.
The Warrenpoint Great Northern was built in two stages, with the more elaborate wing of 1895 by William J. Watson being the focal point. Watson was a local architect, who had worked for the railway company at their hotel in Rostrevor. Closed in 1923, and converted into a boarding school, later a regular day school, and eventually a home for elderly men.