1907 – St. John’s Church, Dublin Rd., Kilkenny
Designed and started by William Hague in 1896, but completed after his death by William H. Byrne. Byrne used Hague’s designs for the building exterior but was responsible for the design of many of the interior fittings, including altars by Earley & Co. The plan consists of the nave, sanctuary with an apse, two side aisles and side chapels and an organ gallery at the entrance end. There are six bays of column supported arcades separating the centre from the side aisles.
After Hague’s early death, the project was to be carried out in accordance with his designs, in two sections, at a cost of £15,701. Unfortunately the planned spire of 234ft was never completed. It is believed locally that this omission was possibly due to a deterioration in the ground conditions and fears that the stability of the building might be affected by the additional weight and, perhaps more realistically, that so much had already been spent on the church, the cost would be too much.