1866 – Chapel, Convent of Mercy, Clonakilty, Co. Cork
The chapel was designed in a Romanesque style to blend in with the existing convent buildings – a departure from their usual polished Gothic. Internally there are stained glass windows by Earley & Powell, and in 1872 a new altar by George C. Ashlin was added. The convent closed in 2007. Illustration published in The Dublin Builder, July 1 1866.
“It is attached to the convent, and, as will be seen, a Lombardic style of treatment has been adopted by the architects, Pugin and Ashlin, as being in more harmony with the existing building. The contractor is Mr. P. Scannell of Cork.” Destroyed in a fire in October 2020.