1829 – Heuston Bridge, Dublin
Once virtually unused since the opening of a new bridge beside it to cope with the heavy traffic, and now dedicated as a bridge for the Light Rail, Heuston Bridge was opened in 1828 and named King’s Bridge after George IV.
An inscription on a copper plate on the foundation stone read: “On the 12th day of December 1827, His Excellency, the most noble Richard, Marquess Wellesley, Knight of the Garter, Lord-Lieutenant General, and General Governor of Ireland, laid the first stone of this bridge, erected by subscription, as a National Testimonial, in commemoration of the most gracious visit of His Majesty King George the Fourth to Ireland on the 12th Day of August 1821.”
The bridge is of iron construction supported by two granite piers and was designed by George Papworth, with the work completed by the Royal Phoenix Ironworks. Two royal crowns at the midpoint of each side have been removed. In early 1922, Dublin Corporation changed the name of several bridges in the city – King’s Bridge being renamed Sarsfield Bridge – and it was renamed again in 1941 after Sean Heuston. Originally nearby Heuston Railway Station was also named Kingsbridge – but both were renamed in honour of Sean Heuston who was one of the sixteen executed leaders of the Easter 1916 Rising.