Salthill Park

Salthill Park

Postby Andrew Duffy » Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:38 pm

This seems a bit amateur, but the proposal includes a 100m tall residential tower in Galway:

http://www.salthillpark.com/
Andrew Duffy

Postby cajual » Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:15 am

"a bit amateur"!!

is it someones idea of a joke or actually a serious proposal- it genuinely looks like it has been done by a child of 10.

but then again, i suppose the services of a ten year old are cheaper than a proper architect.....
cajual

Postby GrahamH » Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:52 am

The Costa Brava comes to Salthill.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Andrew Duffy » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:13 am

Now now. Be nice.
Andrew Duffy

Postby Andrew Duffy » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:16 am

http://www.galwaychamber.com/listing.asp?ID=s

Looks like the registered address is a house:

Salthill Park Ltd
114 Ocean Wave Galway.
Tel: 091-520022 Fax: 091-520033
E-mail: billgrealish@eircom.net
Web: http://www.salthillpark.com
Andrew Duffy

Postby N3 » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:32 am

Who is responsible for this ? Its incredibly bad. Maybe some of the Dublin Photoshopers could help the pathetic soul who created those images , and give them a a few pointers.
As it stands its very embarassing for Ireland that some developer would dare proudly show that sort of thing in public.
N3

Postby fjp » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:52 am

why are the buildings those funny colours???
what the hell are those round green things???
fjp

Postby Desmund » Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:05 pm

The graphical content and wording of the proposal is put together in a very amateurism manner. However, I like what is been proposed, especially the tower, if Galwegians don'y have the same outdated aversion to anything more than 5 stories as us Dubs, maybe this will get passed.
Desmund

Postby GrahamH » Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:51 pm

I belive they're trees of some description. Its so vague that it looks like one of Desmond Fitzgerald's sketches! (okay, maybe not that bad)
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby AndrewP » Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:53 pm

Now that Salthill has been almost entirely ruined by some of the tattiest buildings put up in the last 10 years, maybe a giant tower of crap visible for miles is what's needed to ward off would-be visitors.
AndrewP

Postby AndrewP » Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:59 pm

On second glance, the building on the main page and the one on the linked page are completely different!
AndrewP

Postby d_d_dallas » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:02 pm

How great is that site?!? Irony free zone methinks... or transition year project. I love the the fact that the 100m tower has an observation deck - you know - to get that great view of um - Salthill, and even better: the site seeks to align the Salthill tower with other "world great" towers with the pictures & weblinks.
d_d_dallas

Postby notjim » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:05 pm

did they have to make that map incomprehensible by hand or can you buy maps like that, maybe for adventure tourism. do they really want the tower to be completely round and if so why didn't they make it like that in the picture. are they really going to reconstruct the claddagh near the claddagh, will people live in it, will they be safe from cholera?
notjim

Postby d_d_dallas » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:09 pm

safe from cholera, but not local residents!
d_d_dallas

Postby FIN » Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:11 pm

the site is from about 2 years ago when it was seriously thought of as a proposal. the client himself did the actual images..1 is an upturned can. don't know what the green things are however. it was proposed to reclaim land and therefore not have the hassle of planning instead dealing with the dept. of the marine. it was a pipe dream but the actual proposals for the building were not what is shown on the website. and as regards building over 5 storeys ... well i think it's a general irish thing .. it has to be bad if it's high!!!! probably came from your mistakes in dublin with the ballymun flats!!!!
FIN

Postby Desmund » Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:28 pm

Fin,

The Ballymun flats themselves weren't a mistake. It was the fact that once built, they were more or less left to their own devices and consequently fell into dissrepair. There should have been more of an integrated plan. Dublin even then, was running out of space and building upwards as opposed to outwards was seen as a logical step. Even today, with land been more of a scarcity in Dublin, we still insist in building out and not providing the necessary transportation/local amenities to go with this sprawl. As a result, we now have "standstill traffic" because so many people have to commute from miles away and not by public transport, but by car. Tall buildings both resedential and office are the only way forward, if people in Dublin are to be able to afford to live there. Before long, I can see Greater Dublin spreading as far inland as Athlone, if we don't change our tune - OK maybe not as far as Athlone!

I (and I know I'll probably be the only to hold this opinion) think that knocking down Ballymun will be a big mistake.
Desmund

Postby notjim » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:34 pm

of course galway had the rahoon flats, its own medium rise residental disaster, pity they allowed suburban style housing there after they were demolisted. salthill could look great with some tall buildings, our own vanover without the crap faux-heritage style tourist area. it's easy zoning, leave galway proper the height it is and allow salthill to get higher and higher. of course, that would mean knocking down the warwick, site of many coming of age moments, for me and so many others, but we must all lose something to make progress.
notjim

Postby sherrioverseas » Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:53 pm

Well I do see the big yellow hotel I stayed in...weird to revisit the notion of the proposed building which I remember from 2000.

Don't like that something like that would be at water's edge, smack in the middle of a nice smooth "view". Next would come others of similar height and then you've got nothing but tall stuff scattered about. Would put it farther inland.

O.k., maybe it would be fine with a hoard of landscaping in accompaniment.
sherrioverseas

Postby FIN » Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:46 am

desmond,

i realise that when first built they weren't a mistake but as you rightly said they were left to there own devices which seems to be a recurring theme all over, i am for the development of taller buildings, i did the design for this pipe dream we are talking about and once again it didn't look like the ( hmmm! how can i descibe it) thing on the website. and i agree that some tall buildings in salthill would be excellent. and notjim, the warwick has special memories for all of us but then again so has angels. i was actually wondering if shop street was to be developed into buildings at least 10 storeys.. it might stop all light but it could be enclosed again like back a few hundred years ago. it would certainly make for a better public space. then again it might make 1 big mall out of the whole street... any comments?
FIN

Postby cf » Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:11 pm

Don't like the sound of that FIN, 10 storey high enclosed mall running down shop street!!!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

As for Salthill, Rahoon, Eyre Square etc... sometimes I just despair!
cf

Postby FIN » Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:37 pm

well it was done before. and i know it makes one big mall but could be interesting..as for eyre square..their is an improvment planned if we can stop those tree huggers who have no real argument except object to any sort of development...i find their logic quite strange however...rahoon!!! wa
hat can i say and salthill could be a lot better than the sleazey place it's becoming
FIN

Postby cf » Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:06 pm

I'm still not convinced about Shop Street, it works very well at the moment.

As for Eyre Square, the current proposals don't go far enough in my opinion. It seems to be just a cosmetic makeover and doesn't deal with the problem of lack of definition to the space especially at the upper end. The whole premise seems to be to bring people from the station to the "town centre" as quickly and effortlessly as possible. What should be done is to shift the emphasis of the town centre towards the square.

Eyre square actually consists of two spaces. The green area to the south and the triangular market area to the north. A built edge to the north side of the green would better define both areas and create a stronger feeling of urban space than the disjointed melange that currently exists.

Sorry for going off the topic but it's a favourite rant of mine.
cf

Postby FIN » Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:17 pm

that's quite alright. that's sounds a decent proposal however getting it through our stagant city council would be another matter. there was enough problems with the current proposals. 1 good thing i will say about it is that it creates a pedestrian side adjacent to the skeff. small steps but one day maybe they will get around to doing it right. that may be way in the future as it took them a long time to sort shop street out and still they seem to be constantly digging it up to repave it. bizarre...
FIN

Return to Ireland