No foundations nightmare

Home Forums Ireland No foundations nightmare

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • #709407
      worried househo

      Hi there, looking for some advice guidance. I live in an old thatched cottage which to my knowledge isnt protected but Im told if I wanted to remove the thatch a protection order would be applied. Anyway I dont want to remove my thatch but my problem is that plans have been submitted for a site next to me to build a house which I dont have massive problem with but in order to build on this site a very large rock or hill has to be removed. It is pure rock and Im worried that during the breaking work to remove it my cottage may be damaged due to the fact that we have no foundations. The work will take place literally the other side of a hedge, yes that close and the site is elevated, about 4 ft above our ground level. Can I make an objection on these grounds, should I call in the Heritage officer from the County Council or even someone from a national body. Im very concerned please advise.

    • #789415

      @worried househo wrote:

      Can I make an objection on these grounds, should I call in the Heritage officer from the County Council or even someone from a national body. Im very concerned please advise.

      You are quite entitled to make a submission on the application within 5 weeks of its receipt by the Planning Authority. You will need to pay €20.00 and you should look up the Planning Authority website for details of when the application was received.

      If your only concern is the foundations than you could point this out, and request a Condition be attached to any Permission requiring that a structural survey of your house be conducted prior to commencement of development, and again at the end, and that the applicant be responsible for any damage and restoration costs.You should also insist that any excavation is done in a manner which will have least potential impact on your foundations.

      You really should look at the drawings as well – an elevated site close to your boundary could result in an overbearing building which would affect the setting of your house.

      Best of luck.:)

    • #789416

      i would agree with publicrealms advise fully,….

      i would also point out in any submission that you have an issue with the proximity of the proposed development so close to your own.. is this a rural dwelling?? will it be on a spetic tank or effluent treatment system,??
      if so, there is probably a minimum site frontage in the particular county development plan…..
      argue that you want the proposed building relocated to the other side of the site, to negate any possible issues…
      the planner will probably not know of the foundation issues, ie bedrock etc.. so point these out fully…

      to be honest i would engage a qualified architect or planning consultant to prepare the submission for you… it would be worth the fee….

      failing that, and assuming the permission is granted…. i would advise engaging a structural engineer to do a total structural survey, with photographs, before any site works are carried out…. and another again after work is complete….

    • #789417

      Unfortunately I only have a few days, so I have sent in a letter to the planning dept, what is the process then will they reply to my concerns.

    • #789418

      contact the council tomorrow to find out if the submission was accepted… what did you put in it??

      the will send you out a receipt for the €20… thats the next you will hear from them…

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest News