Irish Building of 2011

Home Forums Ireland Irish Building of 2011

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Paul Clerkin
      Keymaster

So just to stimulate some discussion, what was your building of 2011 in Ireland?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Off the top of my head I would say the Biosciences Building on Pearse St. It’s a very large, imposing edifice which has helped rejuvenate the area and will be crucial to Ireland’s future success in the life sciences industry and the study of a whole range of scientific pursuits at Ireland’s leading university.

admin
      Keymaster

Terminal 2 Dublin Airport – that did open in 2011? Not going to win an architectural purists award but will part of all our lives for a long time to come; its a good effort…

Anonymous
      Inactive

Nope, you’re wrong about Terminal 2 PVC King. Terminal 2 was opened on the 19th of November 2010 link which would rule it out of a Buildings in 2011 discussion.

IIRC the EU/IMF officials were flying in around the same time as our erstwhile Taoiseach Brian Cowen was opening the terminal which made for an interesting juxtaposition between previous prosperity and our current predicament.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Not that there’s too many opened last year, but I thought that the skirting additions to the Carnegie Gallery in Limerick did a respectable job for Limerick. For sure, it’s gone some way towards redeeming the foolish previous extension on the south end.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Not many to choose from….
      I opt for the Lir on Pearse Street. I think its imaginative and quirky. I’m dying to see inside.

Paul Clerkin
      Keymaster

Lyric Theatre in Belfast, anyone?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Maybe you’ll keep us updated on how and when we can actually exercise our ‘public vote’ on the irish Building of 2011.
      RIAI sure as hell won’t.
      I suppose they want the ‘public vote’ to be largely an RIAI members vote.
      In the finest traditions of fixery.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Lyric, but Wexford County Hall is good too.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest News