CORK, City of Culture 2005

Home Forums Ireland CORK, City of Culture 2005

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      GregF
      Participant

CORK, City of Culture 2005. So whats planned and lined up for the celebration of the city. Any Corkonians out there who know. (Go on, sell Cork to us)

corkdood
      Participant

Well you can look at the website at http://www.cork2005.com

Not sure about events yet but its being kicked off with a fireworks display on new years eve by the guy who did the sydney fireworks display for the millenium. Should be good

sw101
      Participant

Originally posted by GregF
      (Go on, sell Cork to us)

20 quid and it’s yours….hook, line and sinker…or possibly hooker, lint and shitter…. 😉

the city centre is too run run down and under developed to be architecturally impressive beyond the wallpaper that is beth galli’s work on patrick street. the school of music would have been the jewel in the crown of the gate, opera, and….well, that’s it really…

Papworth
      Participant

The saga of the long running promised School of Music is typical of promises and planning in this country- the dearth of modren decent “wow” cultural venues anywere in the country (with the notable exception of the Helix). Pretty fireworks displays are fine for a few minutes but no architectural legacy will be the norm as usual. However if St. Pats don’t get there act togeather next season I’d love to see Pat Dolan and Cork City do the double for Cork in 2005.

corkdood
      Participant

Originally posted by sw101

the city centre is too run run down and under developed to be architecturally impressive beyond the wallpaper that is beth galli’s work on patrick street.

Actually efforts are being made to rejuvenate some of the more dilapedated areas of the city – I’ve never seen so many cranes on Corks skyline as there are at present.
      I’m not saying that the results will be architecturally beautiful but they must be an improvement on the delapidation and dereliction which have characterised much of the city for too long.

lexington
      Participant

I won’t pretend Cork is something it’s not – it requires MAJOR investment to make it the darling it could be. What I love about Cork is that it does have SO much potential. It could be a truly eye-catching and inspiring city – but lack of funds, especially from Government circles doesn’t seem to help. Private investment in the city at the moment is impressive – but more is needed, especially in the city centre. We need better planning laws, open minds and no An Taisce – after that we’re sorted. The exciting thing is, Cork is gonna look a helluva look better come 2005 and let’s just hope it’s one big party as promised!

Anonymous
      Inactive

and what do ya think of Genova beeing a City of Culture 2004? 😛

sw101
      Participant

Originally posted by zukki
      and what do ya think of Genova beeing a City of Culture 2004? 😛

really? deadly. love that place. been back again and again

d_d_dallas
      Participant

Cork has always been treated as a poor second cousin in the city stakes in Ireland. There needs to be mentality change in government with it’s attitude. Limerick has always rode the coat tails of Shannon Region – which for years has had money taxbreaks etc thrown at it. Galway is in the deprived Weshhhht. The tall ships are coming to Ireland in 2005 – are they coming to historically harbour bound Cork this a most suitable year…? No Waterford! The amount of Government support for this event is pathetic. I can only imagine how much Taxpayers money was spent to bring those http://www.dublinelevation.net floodlights to O’Connell St for a week. Read of some figures recently that basically most of tourism in Ireland outside the Pale is from Irish people travelling. Whould an event such as Capital of Culture not be a good opportunity to correct this imbalance…?

In any case – Cork is a city in Ireland, which is the Capital of Culture for 2005. This is something all of Ireland should be behind and PROUD of. We’re not getting a shot at this for a l-o-n-g time again.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest News