Conference facilities (Republic of ) Ireland 2004

Home Forums Ireland Conference facilities (Republic of ) Ireland 2004

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Papworth
      Participant

It states a lot about the dire derth of appropriate venues in this country during our EU presidency that Mc Creevey brings the EU ministers to an expensive shed in Punchestown to meet and Cowen brings them to a tent in Tullamore – and boy how quick that bridge of scaffolding poles was erected across the street in Tullamore to facilitate the lads crossing the road.

GregF
      Participant

I agree……for all the money spent on that Punchestown glorified shed, it looks to have been designed by a gerry builder. It ‘s even too small to fullfill the requirements for holding international horse jumping events. It looks bloody awful too.

Please will they build Kevin Roches Conference Centre to set some sort of a precedent for the gombeens.

Sean Carney
      Participant

Well it’s a miracle they held something outside of Dublin, (Tullamore). I nearly passed out when I heard.

FIN
      Participant

each minister gets to bring a conference to his/her own town…

Anonymous
      Participant

Originally posted by GregF
      I agree……for all the money spent on that Punchestown glorified shed, it looks to have been designed by a gerry builder. It ‘s even too small to fullfill the requirements for holding international horse jumping events. It looks bloody awful too.

Please will they build Kevin Roches Conference Centre to set some sort of a precedent for the gombeens.

Described by McCreevy as ‘A grand Venue’

Was that two or three grand on the nose?

GregF on Kevin Roche you are 1000% correct. 😀

garethace
      Participant

Maybe I am just a complete ‘prude’ when it comes to thinking about modern architecture these days…. not able to let my hair go down enough,…. but I did enjoy some of these comments by Andre Duany about Rem Koolhaas’s new IIT student center.

Unfortunately, the original article is not available as a part of the metropolis online edition…. so this is the next best thing…

http://massengale.typepad.com/venustas/2004/04/duany_on_koolha.html

The scene is populated with kids who look, dress, move, have haircuts and talk just like the building looks. They are as integral as those extravagant little figures in Karl Schinkels architectural engravings. They are content to be there, and the building is easy on them, absorbing whatever they are doing. This is the generation that uses random as an ambiguous term or praise and opprobrium, and the building is an embodiment of the fundamental “whatever” sensibility. The plan is disorderly, except where it is rational. The details have a certain integrity, except where they are junky. It is laid-back, except for certain edgy moves. It is artless, except in those places where it is stunningly clever. It is impossible to dislike because it is not trying to be liked. Its like, whatever. The building is as appropriate to our nerds/tech jocks as Miess campus once was for the white-shirted engineers of the second industrial age.

The ‘whatever’ state of modern western culture…

So long as Western culture continues its dismal run, Rem’s building is immune. It will absorb decline with the dignity of Rome ruined by Visigoths.

And,….

Not even Rem is a distraction. As an auteur he is elusive. I cannot see him working directly on this design. It looks like he let loose a swarm of designer-kids as savvy, fast and cool as fighter jocks in front of their screens.

Sounds like a week-long, vertical, group project in Bolton Street doesn’t it? 🙂

It may be that O.M.A. has figured out the elusive ideal of The Architect’s Collaborative; harnessing individuals to the impersonal. Gropius succeeded only in leaching the creativity out of his collaborators. O.M.A. gets vitality to spare out of them.

Vitality to spare,…. definitely a Vertical Group week long project in Bolton Street….. is this what you mean Greg by

build Kevin Roches Conference Centre to set some sort of a precedent for the gombeens.

Or would it only be a monstrous manifestation of adolescent egotism? Like this:

Late Modernism is sometimes analogous to Late Adolescence, which, of course, is the age of some architecture students. The connection between Modernism and Adolescence is the development of the Ego.

A new conference centre,…. which young ‘trendy’ architects would just love to see “built” for their own personal self-vindication? Or say the name ‘rem koolhaas’ and bow three times?

Brian O’ Hanlon.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest News