5-storey apartment houses planned for Bray

Home Forums Ireland 5-storey apartment houses planned for Bray

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      -Donnacha-
      Participant

We were initially glad when we heard about the new houses being planned for the area (off Seapoint Road) neighbouring us, which now has a rather smelly abattoir, etc.. But it all changed to horror when we heard that the houses were going to be 5-storey luxury apartment houses – I mean, goodbye sun & privacy, and all that..?!

Well, I’ve seen the plans now, and I’m somewhat relieved as it’s not looking bad for us, but I’d really hate to be one of our neighbours who will get to “enjoy” the shadow of a high building in their back garden…

It’s all a very Bray-like affair.. “Local councillor / solicitor buys a house in a strange spot, completely revamps it, creating an expensive office for himself and including terraces overlooking an ugly & smelly abattoir…” And now the penny has dropped for the rest of us

The funny thing is that the new area will raise the value of our house as well, but I’m still not too keen on the idea of having 5-storey houses right behind us I just think it doesn’t fit in a town that doesn’t have anything else that high.

Complaints are being made, but I doubt there’s any hope..

delta_jacob
      Participant

i’m sorry, but i can’t take this post seriously. 5 storeys IS NOT HIGH! this is what happens in a country where the tallest building is 60 metres tall. i come from a village with less that 3,000 and we have buildings over 5 storeys high (which were built in the 19th Century) i really cant believe that you would consider 5 storeys in a town as large as Bray to be high, if anything, new buildings in Bray should be three times the height of that.

WillC
      Participant

I agree completely. How the heck can 5 storeys be considered high? With all due respect to the chap that started the thread, this kind of mentality in Ireland drives me crazy.

No wonder we have the most boring skylines in Europe. Endless boring monotonous 4 storey crap. No room for ambition. God forbid something tall might be built in Ireland and cause evil shadows across the land !

bluefoam
      Participant

I have to say that I am all for building up in Dublin. But I have seen the downside recently as a mojor development is planned behind my parents home, which will include a 6 – 8 storey building overlooking their back garden, destroying the privacy they have had for the past 20 years.

In my opinion they paid for a lifestyle not just a property. The land behind the house should be built on, but reasonable effort should also be made for existing residents.

Rita Ochoa
      Participant

“goodbye sun & privacy, and all that..?!” on 5-storey apartment houses ??!!!
      I live on the 6th floor and most of population in my country lives on appartments, some on the 20th or 30th floor and we can’t complain about lack of privacy! Also, specially on the top floor you can get a lot of sunlight and, in my case, luclky I don’t have to take care of a garden.
      I think Ireland schould take advantage of not having earthquakes and start to build higher buildings. Of corse, first you have to loose some silly pre-concepts where only “some different” people live on flats, etc.
      A house can be great but believe me that in our times it’s hard to live and take care of one if you have certain lifestyles.
      Personally, I do prefer to live in appartments, the higher the best, with great views and sunlight, privacy 🙂

I do understand bluefoam when he complains about is parents situation and that’s why planning high buildings isn’t easy and has to be according serious urban plans, not forgeting the distances, green areas, parking, etc.

Rory W
      Participant

Does bluefoam live near Elm Park I ask myself?

bluefoam
      Participant

I don’t know Elm Park.

Rory W
      Participant

Ah its out between Donnybrook and Booterstown and there is a contoversial major scheme with shedloads of apartments planned that are in 6-8 storey blocks. Just curious thats all

-Donnacha-
      Participant

Originally posted by bluefoam
      But I have seen the downside recently as a mojor development is planned behind my parents home, which will include a 6 – 8 storey building overlooking their back garden, destroying the privacy they have had for the past 20 years.

This is *exactly* what I’m talking about!

I’m originally from Helsinki (Finland) myself, and lived in big & high apartment buildings for the first 25 years of my life – until I moved to Ireland. God, I would NOT go back to living in those big monstrous things…

The reason I consider these planned 5-storey buildings high, is that they would be right next to houses that would be left in their shadow. We’d actually be the lucky ones out of our neighbours as we’d have a green area right behind our house (so we’d still be able to enjoy the sun in our back garden). But from our next-door neighbour onwards, their gardens would “enjoy” constant shadow..

Also, it would indeed be nice to enjoy some privacy in your own back garden.

ew
      Participant

There is no “right to light” under Irish planning. As far as I know the precedent was set with the Croke Park re-development.
      (And a good thing too! see Special Olympics thread)
      The overlooking issue is more complex and will depend on window positions, balconies etc.

bluefoam
      Participant

The issue is not the right to light, it is more to do with lifestyle and privacy. The residents in the Croke Park vacinity bought into an area with a large stadium and the accossiated problems/benefits.

A lot of people buy into spacious areas with a differnt lifestyle and pay through the nose for it. These areas generally have limited infrastructure and the new developments do not add to the local amenities but do overburden the existing ones.

Rory W
      Participant

Actually a similar thing is happening up in Drogheda, they are building a ‘shock-horror’ seven storey building on the riverside (with a boardwalk – this is why I’m not saying quay). And the local Labour councellor is giving out yards about it (although the building site is already up to 4 storey height at this stage – which is the height of the buildings in the vicinity). Politicians eh – they know when to get their spoke in (i.e. half completion stage) – usual bollocks mini-ballymun etc etc ad infinitum

Since when is seven storey tall anyway. We dont all live in cotteges you know

WillC
      Participant

I live in Lucan and the proposed Adamstown development was originally supposed to have 15 storey residential buildings in it, but Oh my God ! 15 storeys was considered to be the work of Satan. The new proposal was modified to have 10 storey blocks instead, but still this was and still is causing shock waves in Lucan even though Lucan is now a vast sprawl of low rise semi detached houses that spread out for miles. Local politicians from the Green party are the key organisers behind objections. Tossers.

bluefoam
      Participant

WillC,
      The issue in Adamstown is the lack of infrastructure. There currently is none in the general Lucan area (unless you are lucky enough to live in the village) and there are no plans for any, yet there are plans for 10,000 new homes.

Rory W
      Participant

Is it getting to the stage over here that applicants request for something 1/3 taller than what they need as they know a few storeys are going to get lopped off?

FIN
      Participant

is that not the sensible thing to do.

WillC
      Participant

Bluefoam,

I agree completely. There’s no real infrastructure at all in Lucan and the ‘N4’ is a joke of a road, especially at that junction with the M50. There’s no railway station in Lucan either even though it lies very close to the main Dublin – Cork railiway line.

I completely agree with any Adamstown objections due to the lack of infrastructure in Lucan, but a website that was set up so that thousands of people could object to the development had a statement prepared on the website. People simply clicked on an icon on the page and they were added to a list of people that were opposed to the development.

One sentence on the ‘prepared’ list of reasons behind the objection stated that in addition to a lack the lack of infrastructure, the development contained elements that were too high.

Although I wanted to object to the development due to the lack of infrastructure, I wasn’t against the high rise elements of Adamstown but couldn’t register this on the website. Someone else had also decided that buildings in Adamstown would be too high on my behalf!

I supposed I’m a bit biased in that I like tall buildings, but I don’t like the way Lucan has developed into miles and miles of low rise housing estates.

bluefoam
      Participant

I agree I am all for building up.

d.k
      Participant

5 storeys lol you must be afraid of the stairs lol will some irish people get a GRIP!!!!

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest News