16 storey ‘tower’ planned for site of ex- jailbird, TD & Minister’s former home

Home Forums Ireland 16 storey ‘tower’ planned for site of ex- jailbird, TD & Minister’s former home

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      adhoc
      Participant

An application has been submitted by Flynn & O’Flaherty to Fingal CC for permission to develop phase 3 of the Pavilions Centre in Swords. This phase will involve 302 apartments in seven blocks (mostly 6/7 stories). One 16 storey block, containing 37apartments, is also planned.

The application also seeks permission to demolish Briargate, the house that featured in the Tribunal of Enquiry into Certain Planning Matters and Payments. It was in Briargate that Mr. Gogarty claimed to have seen Mr. Burke recieve the then customary planning-facilitation payment from Mr. Bailey.

Fingal Independent Planning Page
      The Second Interim Report of the Tribunal of Inquiry into Certain Planning Matters and Payments

DublinLimerick
      Participant

Your headline reads like a hysterical outburst from a red-topped tabloid.
      Could we have a little more decorum and class on this forum?

adhoc
      Participant

Admittedly, the pejorative use of ‘tower’ is unseemly – red-top banner meets An Taisce press release. My apologies.

As for the rest of the heading – by more decorous and classy, do you mean to suggest the use of historical airbrushes? His home was the site of inequitous actions and he has served prison time for financial miscreancy. North County Dublin’s planning suffered, suffers, and will continue to suffer, as a result of the actions of Mr. Burke and men of his ilk during their reign. The thread heading stands.

Coincidentally, may I refer you to ‘Haughey’, RTE, Mondays @ 9.30, for a refresher course on the good old days of brown envelopes, dodgey deals, etc, etc, etc.

Anonymous
      Participant

@adhoc wrote:

Admittedly, the pejorative use of ‘tower’ is unseemly – red-top banner meets An Taisce press release. My apologies.

Your ill-judged rant can only be compared to your own ill judged rant,

I object strongly to this metaphor and feel that this thread should be deleted as potential libel

urbanisto
      Participant

God lighten up! And libel against who? Its the internet…libel is all part fo the fun.

Anonymous
      Participant

@StephenC wrote:

God lighten up! And libel against who? Its the internet…libel is all part fo the fun.

Having read a good number of An Taisce press releases over the years it is clear to me that they are clearly worded, well grounded and informative, with that in mind it offends me that comparison would be made to the above politically motivated rant.

http://www.antaisce.org/press/index.html

Rory W
      Participant

How can calling Rambo Burke a crook be libellous when it’s been proved in a court of Law?

You can call him a right crooked bollocks if you want – abuse isn’t libellous!

Lotts
      Participant

Hear Hear 🙂

DublinLimerick
      Participant

1. Abuse is often as bad as libel. It corrodes civilized debate and interaction – its hostile nature tends to silence those who
      have a contribution to make.
      2. Libel is libel whether it’s in audio-visual form, in print or by other electronic means.

Rory W
      Participant

@DublinLimerick wrote:

1. Abuse is often as bad as libel. It corrodes civilized debate and interaction – its hostile nature tends to silence those who
      have a contribution to make.
      2. Libel is libel whether it’s in audio-visual form, in print or by other electronic means.

Point 2 first if I may – The man was sent to prison for prison for tax evasion, ergo he is a crook. Therefore to call Mr Burke a crook or an ex-jailbird is perfectly legal. Therefore to do so is not libel – the truth is not libel in any means he cannot sue me or archeire for this once it has been proved in a court of law that the man was a crook.

On point 1 – abuse is abuse and not libelous. True its not the finer point of debate – but it is fun! As this is a forum I don’t see how anyone could be intimidated by a few words on screen, its not as if they are screaming abuse to your face.

He’s still a crook by the way

adhoc
      Participant

May I withdraw the remark I made about An Taisce – it was completely beside the point and a flippant reaction to DublinLimerick’s accusation of hysteria-peddling.

Remarks made about Mr. Burke are statements of incontrovertible fact – they are matters of adjudicated public record. My initial response wasn’t a political rant – deeds of that kind have been shown to be blind to specific political parties – rather it was a ‘rant’ against those sort of people who do not deserve respect in this, or any, forum with specific regard to their involvement in planning issues or tax evasion or any other areas in which they have been shown to be corrupt.

GrahamH
      Participant

Annnnyway – what’s this Briargate house like, is it that big 70’s pile with magnolia walls constantly featured during the saga, or a slightly more worthy structure?

Anonymous
      Participant

Does anyone live out Swords way who could post an image.

Talking about plots there are many FF supporters who were very happy to see Rambo do bird didn’t Rambo the ex-jailbird and his cronies not throw the kitchen sink at attempting to sink the Reynolds administration, it has long been suspected that the Whelehan incident was a plot set up by Rambo’s mob.

-Donnacha-
      Participant

70s magnolia pile it is

GrahamH
      Participant

oooh I’m good 😀

The energy used to knock it down would’ve been wasted through those windows in half an hour.

Any pics of the scheme? Over 300 apartments are going to have quite an impact on the M1 & already choked entrance to the M50.

Anonymous
      Participant

But does the commercial parking have planning permission or is the PPR of two commercial vehicle drivers?

JPD
      Participant

The RPA are now talking about the Swords Metro, I wonder will they build a metro from Swords to the Airport see the price double and then decide it is too expensive to connect it to the City Centre?

-Donnacha-
      Participant

The application for phase three of the Pavilions, including the tower, has been withdrawn by the developer. The application was withdrawn in the face of concerns raised by Fingal planners and opposition from local residents. The county council is not concerned about the height of the tower specifically, but feel the whole proposal represents overdevelopment of the site.

ctesiphon
      Participant

Any eejit who’s ever been near the Pavilions on a saturday or sunday would have come to the same conclusion- not only are there signal-controlled roundabouts nearby, there are often also substantial traffic jams on those roundabouts. It once took the bus I was on a good 20+ minutes to move from the roundabout near the Pavs to the t-junction in Swords village, a distance of… oooh… 500m? And that was two days after last christmas day.

“What’ll we do with the kids?” “I know, let’s go SHOPPING!” “Can we take the car? Pleeease, can we daddy?” etc. 😮

Anonymous
      Participant

@rte Interactive wrote:

Govt considers powers to dissolve tribunals

01 September 2005 13:42
      The Government could soon have the power to dissolve a tribunal of inquiry under new measures discussed at yesterday’s cabinet meeting.

The sitting Mahon and Moriarty Tribunals are now in their eighth year and have already cost hundreds of millions of euro.

Last year, one of the Government’s finance watchdogs heard that tribunals and other public inquiries have cost the State more than €400 million.

There are fears that figure could rise to more than €1 billion if they hear evidence for several more years.

Already there are measures in place to reduce the fees for barristers at the tribunals, altering it from a very lucrative daily rate to an annual salary.

Legislation was also published last year to allow for the ultimate winding down of the long-running planning inquiry, the Mahon Tribunal.

However, the Government is considering bringing in measures that will give it new powers to dissolve a tribunal, if it has the approval of the Oireachtas.

The Labour Party says it is worried about the proposal and fears the possibility of a Government alone having the power to end a tribunal.

The politicians involved must feel like right eejits; they could be bought for what their barristers get a day to explain the circumstances of the sale of planning consents, state property and whatever else your having yourself; like.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest News