14-storey building for Hendron’s site, Broadstone

Home Forums Ireland 14-storey building for Hendron’s site, Broadstone

Viewing 61 reply threads
  • Author
      Devin
      Participant

So is this an appropriate point for a tall/landmark building, or do the Kings Inns and Broadstone Station do the job already?

And what about the Hendron’s building? It would have to be demolished and it’s a nice feature of the area.

From Dominick Street

Looks kind of good coming up the hill here.

Search%20Criteria%20>%20Ref. 3938/08

Anonymous
      Inactive

Am surprised Hendrons isn’t listed, would hate to see it go. Would love to have one of the studios in there the whole place is built like a tank, most of the internal walls are concrete too..

Anonymous
      Inactive

Mixed feelings, I like the proposed building on first sight and this corner has a suitable scale, but I am sorry Hendrons will go. I guess that is the nature of studios, art is a vanguard for development and artists are continuously being pushed out like flotsam being push up a beech by the tide. Somehow though Hendrons makes a really good studio, it is such a classic reused building.

Of course part of the problem is transport, as the city center gets redeveloped we run out of centrally located semi-abandoned buildings for artists because the lack of public-transport makes “centrally-located” such a small area.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Recent photo of Hendron’s

‘Network coverage’ may take a hit when this goes down

Anonymous
      Inactive

I like how it looks from Broadstone and Constitution Hill but the view from Dominick Street is a bit blah or maybe it’s just Dominick street in general that’s blah

Anonymous
      Inactive

I must be missing something because that Hendron building is a total kip. . I happen to be passing that way tonight, however, and I’ll take another look “in the flesh” but why anyone would want to keep that is beyond me

Anonymous
      Inactive

@wearnicehats wrote:

I must be missing something because that Hendron building is a total kip. . I happen to be passing that way tonight, however, and I’ll take another look “in the flesh” but why anyone would want to keep that is beyond me

Well from my point of view my regret is that it houses a successful complex of art workshops and studios and that it seems to nicely typify that sort of reuse. Of course, the contradiction is that this sort of reuse is usually only permitted as a interim step to redevelopment, so the lost of the art space is the final consummation of it typicality.

Paul Clerkin
      Keymaster

Hendons is certainly an unusual and interesting building. However this is a great site for a good piece of architecture – relatively open and not cheek-by-jowl with something of historical significance. I know it will be visible from the Kings Inns park but not hugely, but importantly you will still be able to view / photograph the Inns west front without seeing this tower.

Tentatively I like it – but as always reserve the right to change my mind when I see more renderings.

Who’s the architects?

Anonymous
      Inactive

The plans for DIT Grangegorman include a tower of similar size. I think they would complenent eachother well

admin
      Keymaster

Given the scale of the roadway & junction in particular, i think the area needs something like this … with kings inn set back, broadstone itself is really the only structure to make a substantial impact, and coupled with the crest of the hill, is often all you see when passing through.

Quite like hendon’s myself, shame there is no way to incorporate it ?

Anonymous
      Inactive

View from Broadstone Park and along Royal Canal Bank should be interesting. But the view from the tower itself should be perfect.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Doesn’t look anything special, does it? Glass and glossy granite – the 21st century’s contribution to Ireland’s architectural record. Not quite up there with the red brick and Portland stone of our heyday.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I think its an appropriate size building for that site. Poor quality render doesnt reflect the actually quality of building.;)

Anonymous
      Inactive

So much crap gets built in this part of town, this would make a refreshing change.

Anonymous
      Inactive

This development will help start a regeneration in this part of the city. 😀

Anonymous
      Inactive

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/

It’s the third story down on the left side of the page doesn’t seem to be working yet. It seems Robert Ballagh objects

Paul Clerkin
      Keymaster

“Robert Ballagh objects” could be the name of a stageplay

Anonymous
      Inactive

Heh heh

Anonymous
      Inactive

OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

Just build the thing………. It’s a building.

Its not a gigantic crater, or well it looks like a crater at the minute.

New 14 storey building looks lovely to me. Will backward Irish people STOP talking please. 🙂

Build it, its giues character to the area. I mean didnt all these vampires say the same thing when, Liberty hall was built, or Georges quay perhaps, Oh didnt locals in Limerick city say that the Riverpoint would spoil the city’scape.

And the artist guy who was on the Irish times, NEEDS to get a life.

RANT OVER.

Anonymous
      Inactive

It is a shame that artists always inevitably get pushed out of their budget accommodation, but when an area becomes desirable people want to live there, and rock bottom rents always go up. ( Or in this case bulldozers)
      Its sad, but it is what it is, the world turns.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@johnny21 wrote:

Poor quality render doesnt reflect the actually quality of building.;)

On the contrary I think that those are very good renders, mainly on account of the realistic lighting and cloud coverage. Most architecture firms like to gloss up their buildings to the max, filling the renders with Mediterranean light levels and tellytubbie land blue skies. Look at how dark the sky is in the render for the Henrietta street competition winner. Thats reality for Ireland.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@dave123 wrote:

Build it, its giues character to the area..

What a funny thing to say; Hendon’s is exactly what gives character to this area, Hendon and Broadstone; building a 14 story building, a building which could be located anywhere, gives the area a new landmark, but it removes character.

I like the 14-storey building, I hope it is built, though I will regret the loss on Hendon’s, an artists’ workshop and industrial classic. One thing I don’t think is that demolishing an artists’ workshop in a distinctive factory building in favour of a 14-storey tower adds character.

Anonymous
      Inactive

What was Hendrons? And when was it built?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Good question, forties or fifties by the look of it; I don’t know what was made there, someone must?

Anonymous
      Inactive

I think it was built in the forties. My father tells me they made heavy machinery.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@paul h wrote:

It is a shame that artists always inevitably get pushed out of their budget accommodation, but when an area becomes desirable people want to live there, and rock bottom rents always go up. ( Or in this case bulldozers)
      Its sad, but it is what it is, the world turns.

I think Mr Robert Ballagh can afford a better studio. He’s one of the most famous living Irish artists

admin
      Keymaster

Not so sure meeself.

Now that the ECB have raised the standard of bank notes he hasn’t much to do.

Way off topic has anyone seen the Bushmills bank note done by Bank of Ireland – talk about a world class marketing campaign.

Anonymous
      Inactive

This is completely off topic, but Ballagh considered an artist? Only by a fairly liberal interpretation of the term and only within a tiny pond in terms of the visual arts that is Ireland. I wonder does anyone outside of Ireland have any interest in what he produces?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Of course he is an artist, an artist and graphic designer. You are addressing his significance, quite another matter, but anyone who conceives of themselves as producing art is an artist. I am an artist, for example, I am just an unusually insignificant one, unknown would be a fair description, my only work of art is called _flinch_, I cover my face whenever I notice I am going to be in the background of a tourist photograph.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Don’t be overly modest; your oeuvre sounds more significant than Ballagh’s.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I like this building plan, it doesn’t look too impossing on the surrounding area altough 14 story’s may be a bit much.

Is it just me though or are too many of these buildings covered in glass? Cant they design anything else?

The Hedrons building is a great one too however, and i remember as a child there used to be a garage around there somewhere and my main memory of that area is turn around the corner after the bus depot and seeing this big thing with ads on it. I dont ever remember it being occurpied but ive always thought it was some abandoned relic from the 60’s that people were keeping.

It is unique but theres little wrong with this tower, other than a heck of a lot of glass.

If CIE got there way Broadstone would be a terminus again, but for now its still just a bus depot.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@Denton wrote:

I like this building plan, it doesn’t look too impossing on the surrounding area altough 14 story’s may be a bit much.

Is it just me though or are too many of these buildings covered in glass? Cant they design anything else?

The Hedrons building is a great one too however, and i remember as a child there used to be a garage around there somewhere and my main memory of that area is turn around the corner after the bus depot and seeing this big thing with ads on it. I dont ever remember it being occurpied but ive always thought it was some abandoned relic from the 60’s that people were keeping.

It is unique but theres little wrong with this tower, other than a heck of a lot of glass.

If CIE got there way Broadstone would be a terminus again, but for now its still just a bus depot.

why might 14 storeys be too much?

Anonymous
      Inactive

@cgcsb wrote:

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/

It’s the third story down on the left side of the page doesn’t seem to be working yet. It seems Robert Ballagh objects

i presume the artists knew it would be temporary when the went in there, ballagh doesn’t do them any favours in finding a new place, building owners will think twice before letting their idle buildings to artists and leave empty them to go derelict.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I think he has form in this regard; doite de suite, though ostensibly pro-artist most probably, in practice, favours established artist at a cost to emerging artists.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Maybe I’m wrong but I read the planning app a few months ago and believe it included new artists studios??

Anonymous
      Inactive

Indeed, the application was linked by the OP, the Misc material is worth looking at, there are some good photographs, scanned to hell obviously. Anyway, here is the site notice:

PROTECTED STRUCTURE: For development of a mixed use scheme on a site of 0.3444 hectares, approximately, principally identified as the site of the ‘Hendron’s’ building, located to the east of the junction of Western Way and Dominick Street Upper, Dublin 7. The site is bounded to the north and west bt Western Way, to the south by Dominick Street Upper and to the southeast partially by Palmerston Place and partially bt the rear gardens of nos. 1-5 Palmerston Place.

The site contains a stone wall which is a protected structure (Dublin City Council RPS no. 8682), extending along the site’s boundary with Western Way. The overall proposed development will consist of: the demolition of the existing building on site (3,130 sq.m) and the construction of a mixed use scheme with a total gross floor area of 11,466 sq.m.

The proposed development ranges in height from single storey to 14 storeys over 1 no. basement level and comprises:
      48 no. residential units (5 no. 1 bedroom apartments, 33 no. 2-bedroom apartments and 10 no. 3 bedroom apartments);
      4 no. live/work units (3 no. 3 bedroom live/work units and 1 no. 4-bedroom live/work unit);
      32 no. apart-hotel units (2,505 sq.m);
      offices (1,532 sq.m),
      a neighbourhood shop (675 sq.m);
      an artists gallery/studio (511 sq.m) and
      restaurant (334 sq.m).

The proposed development also comprises works to the existing stone boundary wall (RPS no. 86825) fronting Western Way (which will be retained and incorporated into the proposed development), including the creation of openings in the wall of various sizes to form pedestrian entrances to the development, and the removal of the existing ashlar stone piers, plinth and cast iron railings to Upper Dominick Street.

The proposed development comprises 3 no. building elements arranged around a central landscaped courtyard at ground floor as follows:

The first element comprises a block ranging in height from 4 to 14 storeys extends from site’s south-western corner at the junction of Western Way and Dominick Street Upper to the site’s southern corner at the junction of Palmerston Place and Dominick Street Upper. This element will comprise a neighbourhood shop at ground floor level (657 sq.m); offices extending from ground floor level to fouth floor level inclusive (totalling 1,532 sq.m); 20 residential units extending from first floor level to fifth floor level inclusive (5 no. 1-bedroom apartments, 10 no. 2-bedroom apartments, and 5 no. 3-bedroom apartments); a restaurant at fifth floor level (334 sq.m) and 32 no. apart-hotel units extending from sixth floor level to thirteenth floor level inclusive (totalling 2,505 sq.m).

The second element is a primarily residential block ranging in height from single storey to 6 storeys and is located to the north of the first element. It extends along part of the western site boundary fronting Western Way. This element will comprise 15 no. residential units in total extending over each floor level (12 no. 2-bedroom apartments, 3 no. 3-bedroom apartments); 4 no. live/workunits extending from ground floor level to second floor level (3 no. 3-bedrroom live/work units, 1 no. 4-bedroom live/work unit); and a gallery/studio facility at ground floor level (511 sq.m).

The third element is a primarily residential block with a height of 5 storeys (with a partial set-back at fifth floor level nearest the existing residences to the north of the site) which extends along part of the eastern site boundary fronting onto Palmerston Place. This element includes 13 no. residential units in total spread over each floor level (11 no. 2-bedroom apartments and 2 no. 3-bedroom apartments). The development also includes 1 no. basement level principally comprising: 68 no. car parking spaces; 60 no. bicycle parking spaces; plant rooms; private residential storage; and bin storage.

The proposed development will provide pedestrian access/egress points along Western Way, Dominick Street Upper and Palmerston Place. Vehicular assess to the basement level will be provided from the site access road off Palmerston Place. The proposed vehicular access arrangement will involve reversing the existing one-way circulatory regime along Palmerston Place so that all traffic must enter at Dominick Street Upper and exit at Mountjoy Street. In addition the section of Palmerston Place between the proposed access and Dominick Street Upper will be opened up to two-way traffic. The proposed development will result in the removal of 7 no. existing pay and display parking bays along the western kerb line of Palmerston Place.

The proposed development also includes changes in level; boundary treatments; all hard and soft landscaping; balconies and terraces; vehicular access points; internal roads and pathways; pedestrian access points; site services and all associated site development works above and below ground.

Anonymous
      Inactive

It’d be a shame to loose the studios, or any group of artist studios in Dublin. It’s just a pity a lot of developments in Dublin and elsewhere don’t even think or can even fathom the benefits of such things in their developments. I suppose when the benefits are so untangible as artist studios then its not even worth considering. However this development has the chance with the protests by the artists and Ballagh to do something and highlight that they are there.

Anonymous
      Inactive

so a few artist studios makes the world aright, might as well stick a recording studio on top of it.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@aj wrote:

Ive though about it, that sites in a slight depression so it might even things out a bit.:cool:

Anonymous
      Inactive

Why in Ireland are we still stuck in famine times.

SO WHINERS please shut up and get over it. its wonderful.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@aj wrote:

Cus Irish people are afraid of 14 storey buildings falling on top of them.

Its a bit like these building are intimidating when you walk down the street. You see in Ireland people avoid these building like the plague. incase it falls on top of them while been near them etc.

Imagine if it was 80 storey building. Ruuuun for youuuuuuuuuuuuur lives.:rolleyes:

P.S Do irish people like New york, they have tallish buildings there you know.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@dave123 wrote:

You are really starting to irritate me with these. WE GOT THE FUCKING MESSAGE ALREADY! We know – you don’t like negativity. Do you really need to flood the place with these hyperbolic “Ireland is backwards”, “stop whining”, “be positive”, etc. messages?

They add absolutely nothing of value to any discussion. Either engage in the discussion or don’t but at least give us a break from your condescending school marmish exhortations.

This isn’t a group therapy session where we share, hug each other and expect to leave feeling “positive”; it’s a place for people discuss their often differing opinions on the built environment. If you cannot handle reading divergent opinions – negative and positive – about architecture, then you are in the wrong place.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@dave123 wrote:

The infrastructure of the area, ie water and sewer systems, were built sometime in the late 1800’s. Have these systems been upgraded? What will a building this size do to the water pressure of the local residences on Palmerston Place, Middle Mountjoy Street and Dominick Street, as well as the Temple Cottages?

What about the residents living on 1-5 Palmerston Place and 27th to the Lane? Are they just expected to suck it up without any compensation?

Anonymous
      Inactive

@thelongfordarms wrote:

The infrastructure of the area, ie water and sewer systems, were built sometime in the late 1800’s. Have these systems been upgraded? What will a building this size do to the water pressure of the local residences on Palmerston Place, Middle Mountjoy Street and Dominick Street, as well as the Temple Cottages?

What about the residents living on 1-5 Palmerston Place and 27th to the Lane? Are they just expected to suck it up without any compensation?

compensation????????????

Anonymous
      Inactive

@cgcsb wrote:

The plans for DIT Grangegorman include a tower of similar size. I think they would complenent each other well

Does it complement Grangegorman, or would it dilute it’s impact?

The one good view of it would be from Grangegorman / Broadstone,
      the other views, from down Constitution Hill and from Dominic Street? . . . I’m just seeing Glasgow!

If we’re articulating corners again, what about that new plum coloured, dead-pan, block on the other corner. They went for modest urban mending and then, for some reason, fused it with post-war MM ideology giving it a blank dead-end (complete with ‘dead-end-art’) to Constitution Hill, where the views over King’s Inns Park and the city would have been spectacular?

I can’t find where archiseek dissected this one? it would have been about two years ago.

Anonymous
      Inactive

In my role of thread-fairy, here we go

https://archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=4544

Generally positive but some expressed the same reservation as you.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks notjim, I knew it would be there, just didn’t think it was quite that far back. Do you have a better way of searching, or do you just remember these, Rainman style?

Prophetic contribution from Seerski !

Anonymous
      Inactive

Why does one have to make the statement that if we don’t want tall buildings that we are backwards? I just sometimes think that as Dublin city centre is a traditionally low rise city maybe we should respect that and concentrate on building cluster of tall buildings on the periphery and reduce the concentration of all resources on the city centre.
      I like tall buildings but I love low rise Dublin.

Anonymous
      Inactive

tower part rejected
      http://www.tribune.ie/property/article/2009/apr/26/high-rise-plan-for-well-known-dublin-site-turned-d/
      Plans for a 51-metre high tower at Hendron’s in Constitution Hill in Dublin 7 have been given the thumbs down by Dublin City Council.

Before development goes ahead, AB Properties will have to pay nearly €700,000 to the council as a financial contribution as well as more than €180,000 for Metro North.

why

Anonymous
      Inactive

@lostexpectation wrote:

tower part rejected
      http://www.tribune.ie/property/article/2009/apr/26/high-rise-plan-for-well-known-dublin-site-turned-d/
      Plans for a 51-metre high tower at Hendron’s in Constitution Hill in Dublin 7 have been given the thumbs down by Dublin City Council.

Before development goes ahead, AB Properties will have to pay nearly €700,000 to the council as a financial contribution as well as more than €180,000 for Metro North.

why

Only the tower element refused……quel surprise! ABP are genuinely anti any form of high rise.

f this complex was designed with a tower forming an intrinsic part of it, then omitting the tower will effect its integrity. I have seen the end results of decisions like this, ABP cut the “higher then average” parts, the architects do a half hearted re-design and the city ends up with appaling compromises Sometimes they can end up radically different to that which was entered for planning, therefore, effectively a new design gets through the process without planning!

C

Anonymous
      Inactive

For some reason “tower” seems to make out that the building is 30 stories tall,its not that bloody big in fairness!:D

Anonymous
      Inactive

Never even knew Hendrons housed an artist’s studios and I’ve been living in the area all my life. Might go and check it out tomorrow.

I think it would be a shame to tear the entire building down. Why is it not possible to incorporate at least some of it into the new scheme? And i’m not just talking about the bounding wall here. I’m all for getting rid of the old warehouse at the back which really have no merit at all. The big Hendron facade looks great coming up the hill. Plenty of room for a development without the need to completely bulldoze the site.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Took this photo a few weeks ago. Apologies for the blue sky and sunset.

Anonymous
      Inactive

That’s a lovely pic, man. You should stick it up on a Flickr account.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Was just wondering where would the best place be for getting the plans to the Hendron building?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Ha! I was actually just going to suggest Hendron’s to you in your other thread. It’s a good candidate for you due to its size and age, and the building itself might benefit from some suggestions for its creative re-use (though it would be hard to beat its current use).

No idea on the plans, I’m afraid. Best of luck.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@focus_mad wrote:

Was just wondering where would the best place be for getting the plans to the Hendron building?

Well, if the building has just been in for planning, the Dublin City Council Planning Department would have a copy of what was submitted for that.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@ctesiphon wrote:

Ha! I was actually just going to suggest Hendron’s to you in your other thread. It’s a good candidate for you due to its size and age, and the building itself might benefit from some suggestions for its creative re-use (though it would be hard to beat its current use).

No idea on the plans, I’m afraid. Best of luck.

what can I say great minds think alike:D
      Ah I’m sure if I did a feasibility study for the area it would pick something out that would suit it. I know the fella that owns the car dealership so I’ll chance me arm..

Anonymous
      Inactive

@forrestreid wrote:

Well, if the building has just been in for planning, the Dublin City Council Planning Department would have a copy of what was submitted for that.

Thanks very much.. I’ll email them at a more respectable hour

Anonymous
      Inactive

I don’t think e-mailing would work. Do a planning search on the DCC website. The Planning Reference is 3938/08.

Anonymous
      Inactive

@ctesiphon wrote:

I don’t think e-mailing would work. Do a planning search on the DCC website. The Planning Reference is 3938/08.

thanks for that I searche that planning reference but there was no original plans only the proposed development plans…also found out the existing building is 3000m2+ so too big for my project but thanks again for your help

Anonymous
      Inactive

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/bertie-backs-bid-by-artists-to-halt-new-tower-block-1748303.html

The up-coming first elected Lord Mayor takes a predictable side… this from the man who equates socialism with free entry to the Botanical Gardens.

Viewing 61 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Latest News