Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Tuborg
Participant

@PoxyShamrock wrote:

I honestly don’t think it’s that bad. In all fairness it could have been worse…they could have knocked the building. If you look to the right of Matthew Stephens you can see that that Eason have done the same with the building. The Original brickwork is still underneath. I don’t remember Cruises Hotel so I can’t be a judge of that disaster…..all I can say is that it was well before my time.

Ah come on! Its an absolute joke, Limerick City Councils job should be to preserve and protect what remains of the city’s georgian stock not destroy them! Obviously Retailers like Matthew Stephens dont give a s*** about historical buildings, they wanted to increase the amount of retail space available to them by converting the upper floors from storage to retail use. I dont see where Installing a gigantic window and plastering over what was a fairly attractive Brickwork facade fits into the plans.

Also Im not so sure about the Eason building, historical photographs dating back to the 1890s show a plastered finish to the building!

@CologneMike wrote:

It will be very difficult for the city council to refuse them planning permission on heritage grounds as they all can chant back “everybody else is doing it so why can’t we?”.

Well the simple solution to that is : not to let this crap happen in the 1st place. How this one slipped through I’ll never know!

Latest News