Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

vitruvius
Participant

I can’t help wondering what kind of people are in charge of planning and preservation in Limerick City Council.
Surely there is a masterplan of what they would like O’Connell st. to look like?
Surely all of the remaining Georgian and Victorian houses at the top end of O’Connell St. and it’s surrounding streets are preserved?
Why then are they allowing for the demolition of entire blocks? Have they learn nothing from the first Savoy site (lifespan approx 17 years).These large blocks are out of scale with everything else around them and they have a very short lifespan.
Contrast these hideous sheds and their “nice” cladding with that new infill building on O’Connell st., close to the Limerick Leader office.
I just walked up from Henry St. to the railway station via Mt Kennet and Hartstonge St. – there is such a wealth of building types up this end of the city that haven’t been fucked up yet – stables, townhouses, mews buildings, the odd industrial warehouses . Admittedly many of them are in a rough state but they are worth being preserved.
Oh, yeah – what’s the story with all the plastic windows in Limerick? If these are listed buildings ( please tell me they are??) how can they get away with putting in uPVC?
Oh, and another gripe – why are all the electricity poles still on the streets? Why are they not underground?
😮

Latest News