Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Tuborg
Participant

@PoxyShamrok wrote:

Down next to Instore and Molly’s Bar close to the Milk Market there is a shell of a building thats there for around 2 or 3 years! It seems that it was started but never finished! Does anyone know what it was meant to be and why construction stopped?

The plan here was for a mixed use scheme of apartments, offices and ground floor retail accomodation, the developer is ger madden who i think used to own the broadcasting license for the limerick area (old 95fm before it was shut down), as you say construction started around 3 years ago but the site has been idle for some time now, maybe he just ran out of money! Lately an bord planala rejected his plan for a hotel and apartment development just across the road from the above development on what is currently a large carpark.

As for the city centre proposal, no doubt penneys and burger king are woeful buildings and add to the drabness of this section of O Connell st, but really i dont think roches stores building is in any way out of place, in fact i think it fits in quite well in what is a prime city centre location on the junction of sarsfield st/ o connell st! TBH i would be a lot more concerned with what is behind roches stores on the liddy st side and the dunnes stores site, this area is in much more urgent need of redevelopment, its dirty, dreary ,partly derelict and a shocking waste of prime city centre space, i would be more than happy if this site was sorted out. This is a very grand plan with a proposed tunnel under arthurs quay sc and a large civic square, i just cant see this going ahead in its entirety, it’ll either be toned down or abandoned completely, this is Ireland after all, something is bound to go wrong!, what are the odds of finding a rare snail and having to put up with a gigantic hole in the city centre for years!:eek:

Latest News