Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

ShaneP
Participant

I don’t think the council can rely on the notion that the city centre is dying due to competition from suburban centres anymore. From a personal point of view, town seems to be noticably busier in recent times, most saturday’s now seem comparably as busy as any christmas from a few years ago. There was even a few sightings of the lesser spotted American tourist during the Summer.

If anything is putting the city centre and it’s traders in danger it is dross new developments with a shelf life of less than 15 years ie. things like the Savoy and slum apartment developments. If this hasn’t dawned on planners yet, then the city council should be done away with altogether.

As regards, the new shopping centre, I really don’t see how any one could contemplate raising whole city blocks, especially in that part of town. It would be a planning nightmare for everyone involved given the concentration of businesses, streets and buildings in that compact area. I’d hazard a guess and say that the Cahill May Roberts building might go or else that the centre will be located entirely on the derelict site beside Instore near Ellen St. Who knows, we might end up with something a bit trendy like the Powerscourt centre in Dublin or Galleria Vittorio Emanuelle in Milan!!

Latest News