Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Tuborg
Participant

@Griff wrote:

It has to be due to planning restrictions – it looks totally unnatural !.. seemingly the ground has never been full since its redevelopment – so that empty spaces will in future be 3 wedges behind the floodlights – the 4th at the city end of the Mackey stand seems ok.
There is a bit of previous for this layout though – Pairc ui Rinn – the first GAA stadium to have floodlights I believe ( naturally – sure its in Cork like) – although the impact is a lot less as the stadium is smaller and the terraces have square ends.

Well it was full for last years Munster Final and it should be full again for the International Rules in October. There’s going to be quite a few spectators with restricted views of that game!:rolleyes:

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to Pairc ui Rinn, its only really used as a secondary venue to Pairc ui Chaoimh. I noticed at the weekend that the new lights in Thurles have been installed behind the terracing so as not to obstruct views of the pitch, just as you would expect.

It just makes this decision all the more annoying. It must be some kind of concession to the residents on that side of the ground. Maybe they felt that locating the masts within the stadium would help allay the concerns of locals. Despite the fact that light spillage from modern floods is pretty low.

I think I might fire off an e-mail to Limerick GAA to try and get the definitive reason for this unfortunate decision.

Below: Proposed locations of floodlighting masts.

Latest News