Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

massamann
Participant

Heya supercool,

Not only can you post in capitals, you can also use multiple exclamation marks – that makes you extra special in my book.

I admit that the buildings that you list – King Johns Castle, the Cathedral, the Crescent – are undeniably important, containing a sizable proportion of Limericks landmark buildings. But as sites (as potential practical locations for proposed new buildings), I don’t believe that any of them rank higher than a site in the centre of the river in the centre of town. After all, I’m not aware of any proposals to knock the castle in order to build a block of apartments. And I’m not sure what you were expecting, but I agree that the old Dunnes site comes very close to being as high a profile, except that it is set back from the riverbank by a road rather than being in the centre of the river.

Surprisingly I also agree with your statement that Shannon bridge carries more traffic than Sarsfield bridge, but (to use your phrase) be honest here: is it really more important? Unless you’re suggesting that Shannon bridge is more high profile than Sarsfield bridge simply because it gets more traffic? And if we follow that logic, then Shannon Bridge is more important than the castle, the courthouse, the crescent etc that you mentioned.

The site of the boat club can be seen from both Shannon Bridge AND the castle, the courthouse, the treaty stone, etc. which makes it pretty high profile to me. But enough of our petty squabble, I think we can both agree that as a site it is both (a) fairly high profile, and (b) subject to a live planning application. And therefore worth debating.

Latest News