Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

justnotbothered
Participant

@jpsartre wrote:

T

As for the boat club I recall reading in one of the local rags that Councillor Leddin and the developers were hopeful of a favorable response on their delisting app. given the slowdown in the economy etc. I don’t believe they’ve had the go ahead yet. Fordmount (developers?) got their own guy in to pronounce on it’s architectural merits, and whether it ought to be listed. Surprisingly he said he did’nt think so, citing the Belfast roof as the only thing remotely interesting about either building. His reasoning being that all the changes made to the interiors of the buildings offset any heritage value they may otherwise have had. Horlicks of course.

There are two councillor Leddin’s on Limerick City Council

Cllr. Joe Leddin (Labour) is a member of Limerick Boat Club and is in favour of the development.

Cllr. Kathleen Leddin (Independent) is against the development.

I’m afraid the wind is blowing with Joe Leddin at the minute, Fine Gael and Labour are going to vote in favour of the development, which will, imo, destroy the city centre. We’ll spend the next 20 years trying to get rid of it.

It’s not so much the loss of Boat Club buildings, but the damage the development will do to the entire waterfront. Still, if Limerick City Council have shown anything in the last century or so, it’s that they are determined to make Limerick as ugly as possible. Harvey’s Quay, the Sarsfield Hotel, Dunnes Stores, Todds, AIB, BOI, Arthur’s Quay, Mungret St, Cornmarket, the list is long and depressing.

Latest News