Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

KeepAnEyeOnBob
Participant

Not a fan of Arthur’s Quay – at least in terms of design, part of city centre, and replacing what it did – however, I think saying it’s the worst city centre building in Europe is ridiculous hyperbole. Besides, until they did it up, that honour surely would have gone to Cork bus station?

Arthur’s Quay isn’t even the worst city centre building in Limerick – I would sooner put forward the Sarsfield Street old Dunnes, or even Todds as that. AIB up the street is pretty lame too – actually kind of strangely resonant with AQ – maybe it’s just the green colour and vintage.

Actually Arthur’s Quay seems to be working better than ever as a shopping mall since the food court was put into the top floor (it kind of makes one wonder why on earth not have done that from day 1, years ago!) and there is more of a variety of shops today too (it was far grimmer in the mid 90s). I’d still prefer actual streetscape of course – what a city centre should be. Opera Centre will simply be a bigger modern version of AQ – can’t understand how people can even begin to think of it as some kind of visionary wonder-project.

Latest News