Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Tuborg
Participant

@KeepAnEyeOnBob wrote:

Seems they’ve done fairly well at Pery Square, but one wonders why the new building is a modern design at all – it’s so plain and boring and a bit ugly. With it being brick, it’d surely have been better off copying the style of the adjacent Georgian buildings?

I had concerns about how this was going to turn out, I suppose it was almost asking too much for an acceptable design solution to be found. I dont really think Georgian pastiche is the answer here, it would just end up looking silly, especially sitting next to the impressive Tontine terrace.

The height and scale of the new build was always going to be a hugely important issue here and unfortunately that ugly white box on the roof does it no favours. Theres also too many windows on the Barrington Street elevation which I think detracts from the buildings either side. In my opinion anyway (the rest of ye might disagree), a blank facade would be a better solution here as an infill frontage between two Georgian houses.

@Griff wrote:

Also , drove up Sarsfield st yesterday… admittedly it was raining , but this street as a gateway into a city – is a sad sight to behold !..

You’re spot on there. That makes two prominent gateways into the city centre (Rutland St/Patrick St being the other) that are in an exceptionally sorry state. It just highlights the need for urgency in finding a solution to the opera centre impasse and also that we need to push on quickly with the proposed rejuvenation plan for the Aurthurs Quay area.

Latest News