Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

massamann
Participant

The more I look at the proposal to replace the Boat Club in the river, the worse it looks to me. If ever a site called for an “iconic building” – hmm, I hate that term – let’s say an example of considered design, then this is it. Get it right, and it will raise the look of every single other building that looks out at it over the river. Get it wrong, and we’ll drag everything down.

Who is the land owned by? To me, it’s a no brainer. We need a new site for a library, and we need (in my view) public access to this area. Let it be a public-private partnership on a build-lease basis, or let it be fully public. But this site is important enough to mean that the “economic imperative” should not figure. We don’t need to squeeze 20,000 sq ft of office space onto a thin strip of land. Less is more.

And with that it mind, how about something stripped down to the minimum, 2 or 3 stories high, almost transparent. Something not a million miles away from….

Latest News