Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

justnotbothered
Participant

@shanekeane wrote:

can anybody who has two eyes in their head please look at that picture above and tell me what in god’s name do these fat, uneducated, parochial hicks in the city council think it is they’re protecting?

The Bridge and the Shannon Rowing club, and also, the concern isn’t about what’s being knocked (although it’s a listed building) but rather what’s being proposed, which I guess with the two eyes in your head (presumably) you can see is a cheap, rubbish design.

Even the artist’s renditions can make it look no better than low-rate.

Mike, in response to your earlier question about what the councillors saw, I saw some of the designs the councillors were shown. They were awful, it was impossible to escape the lack of windows and the blandness of the majority of the design. Limerick (or any other city) doesn’t need more windowless blocks being built on our rivers. The same mistake was made in Cork with Merchant’s Quay, and (again) in Limerick with the old Dunnes Stores. I’m not vehemently opposed to this plan for the fun of it. It’s a terrible design which would make a waste of the millions being invested on improving the Strands.

Even pro-development Councillor’s like Scully are unimpressed with this plan, and he was the one who proposed it was no bad thing to tear down some Georgian streets to facilitate the Opera Centre.

Mind you, I don’t see what’s wrong with having parks in cities, like the proposal of Mike above (not that that could happen) The park on the pier in the Claddagh in Galway (just opposite the Spanish Arch and beside the Lock gates) is a fantastic amenity for the city to enjoy.

Ultimately, does this development add more to the city than it takes away, imo, no.

Latest News