Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Tuborg
Participant

Report of the Limerick City Council Boundary Committee

The Limerick Leader is reporting that the minister for the environment has given the go-ahead for the Limerick County Council lands on the northside of the city to be transferred into the administrative area of Limerick City Council. I was under the impression that this had already gone ahead as of January 1st this year?

I only hope that this is the start of a proper re-evaluation of the entire City boundary, its only right that a similar study is carried out on the southside!

Gormley’s green light for Limerick city boundary

ENVIRONMENT Minister John Gormley has ended a 58-year stalemate and cleared the way for extending Limerick city’s boundaries.
Mr Gormley – who has strong links with the city – has strongly backed the long-sought boundary extension which will see large parts of Moyross and Caherdavin integrated into the city at long last.

The Minister told the Limerick Leader this Wednesday that he had received the Limerick Boundary Committee report of Boundary Committee which he had set up in October 2007.

This followed the Fitzgerald Report which recommended, among other things, that the borough boundary be extended to include thousands of homes in Moyross and Caherdavin in the city.

“I have a strong personal connection with Limerick City and I will give my full support to the regeneration and development work underway
in Limerick, which will benefit the entire region,” the Minister told the Leader earlier today.

Mr Gormley, who grew up in Corbally and went to school to St Munchin’s College, added: “In view of the launch of the Vision Statements for the Moyross and Southill Regeneration Plans by the President recently, I particularly welcome the local political support and agreement, as voiced by Limerick City Council and Limerick County Council.”

The Minister now intends to sign an order which will make the boundary extension legally binding. This will require TDs’ and Senators’ approval but that is seen as a formality at this stage.

Recommendation to the Minister

In the interests of convenient and effective local government, in order to address the geographical divorcement of the area concerned from Limerick County Council, and to assist the implementation of the Fitzgerald report, the Boundary Committee recommends that the Minister proceeds with a boundary alteration, to include the townlands of Ballygrennan, Caherdavin, Clonconane, Clondrinagh, Clonmacken, Coonagh East,Coonagh West, Knock and Shannabooly within Limerick City Council’s boundary.

Latest News