Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?
Home › Forums › Ireland › well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? › Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?
i dont know. With the exception of maybe the TSB there is nothing worth saving in any of those buildings. But as I said it depends on what they replace it with..
In a sense there potentially isnt much to get in the way of such a proposal, there are no protected structures in the subject area although there are a few listed on the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage (NIAH) This listing would not stop the demolition of a building although it could force the Planning authority to re-evaluate its significance.
Irwin Bros., 22 Patrick Street, Limerick
Terraced three-bay four-storey brown brick Georgian building, built c. 1780. Roof hidden behind parapet wall, with coping and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond, with limestone coping to parapet wall]Appraisal[/B]
A fine regular brick-faced Georgian townhouse, adapted as the centuries progressed to accommodate a shopfront at ground floor level. This house forms one of the few remaining houses of the Arthur’s Quay triangle of terraced Georgian houses which was almost entirely demolished during the late 1980s to make way for the existing shopping centre/car park. This house and terrace was constructed by the Arthur family, an old Catholic Limerick family, after they had constructed Arthur’s Quay itself, as one of the few large-scale developments of Georgian houses. The name of the street, Patrick Street, was after Patrick Arthur.
Roches Stores, O’Connell Street, Sarsfield Street, Limerick
Corner sited attached multiple-bay four-storey Art Deco style commercial buildings, built c. 1940, with an angled corner entrance bay of tripartite windows to second and third floor level over a double-height polished limestone entrance, further emphasised by flanking bipartite window bays. A five-bay elevation faces O’Connell Street, and a twelve-bay elevation faces Sarsfield Street. Structure prolonged by large red brick extension, c. 1980, with a frontage on Sarsfield Street and Arthur’s Quay. Roof concealed behind parapet entablature, with stepped acroteria to end bays, and blocking course stepping upwards over corner entrance bay. Elevations arranged with channel rusticated walls framing recessed smooth window bays articulated by stepped stylised Doric piers with fluted capitals, rising from first to third floor level. Modern glazed shopfront at ground floor level. Window bays further articulated by wrought-metal balconettes.
This is a fine Art Deco style department store, which is virtually intact externally. It is situated at an important corner site and though its origins are relatively modern, it is the only corner building at this junction with architectural and historical significance, the remaining three sides having been rebuilt in more recent decades.
Permanent TSB, 24 Sarsfield Street, Limerick
Terraced single-bay three-storey former bakery, built c. 1890, with limestone shopfront and three-sided canted-bay oriel window at first floor level. Possibly originally one larger structure. Roof concealed behind parapet wall. One rendered chimneystack to party wall. FaÃ§ade walls faced with red brick laid in English garden wall bond, with rusticated red brick quoins to side rising to parapet level.
This interesting single-bay bank building employs a vernacular monumentality in the faÃ§ade composition, enlivened by the bay window and limestone shopfront. While the faÃ§ade appears to date to the early twentieth century, the rubble limestone rear elevation suggests an earlier period of construction.
P.A. Martin, 23 Sarsfield Street, Liddy Street, Limerick
Corner-sited end-of-terrace three-bay three-storey over concealed basement public house, built c. 1830. Possibly originally one larger structure. Rendered shopfront to faÃ§ade, rendered crow step gabled side elevation, and prolonged to rear with an accretion, built c. 1980. Pitched artificial slate roof with stone coping to parapet wall. Replaced red brick chimneystack flush with gable with plain clay pots. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with cement re-pointing. Limestone coping to parapet wall.
A modest late Georgian house, converted to public house use at some point during the nineteenth century and given additional interest with the introduction of a rendered shopfront, a signature addition of the late nineteenth- and early twentieth-century. In the 1872 edition of the Limerick City Ordnance Survey, Liddy Street did not exist. Sarsfield Street (then known as Brunswick Street) continued, in one terrace of buildings, to Sarsfield Bridge (then known as Wellesley Bridge). The site of this house appears to have incorporated part of its neighbouring building to the east.
1. Irwins, Patrick Street.
2. Former Roches Stores
3. Permanent TSB, Sarsfield Street.
4. Permanent TSB, Sarsfield Street.
5. P. Martin, Sarsfield Street.