Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

Home Forums Ireland reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

gunter
Participant

@Praxiteles wrote:

The question here is whether or not an alternative, not in the modern idiom, is forthcoming. What would you suggest?

I respect your passion for this subject Praxiteles and I share your deep misgivings about what some practitioners in ‘the modern idiom’, as you put it, have succeeded in passing off as iconic architecture, but yes I am completely certain that there is another way, that’s why I would like you to be more understanding of the efforts made in examples like the ‘Church of the Autostrada’, [dispatched rather than discussed, above] . . . for example.

I accept that the overall package at ‘Autostrada’ is crude and artless, but to me there’s enough in that interior view to suggest that a new architecture of complexity and craft was within our reach if we hadn’t lost our nerve and yielded the field to the grain-silo merchants on the one hand and the proud-to-be-a-reproducin’ brigade on the other.

Maybe plonking a stage version of a medieval Burgundian monastry in the middle of Wyoming is not an absurd notion in the deeper recesses of the religious world – where perhaps the suspension of disbelieve is an entry requirement – but I’m going to be straight with you, . . . . it looks a small bit odd from here.

Latest News