Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches
Home › Forums › Ireland › reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches › Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches
St Brendan’s, Birr, Co. Offaly
Indeed, as suspected, the chancel window is by A.W.N. Pugin:
Fr. John Spain PP (1836 – 1848)
The appointment of Fr. John Spain led to the second phase in St. Brendanâ€™s devel*opment. He extensively remodeled the church adding the galleries and the buildingâ€™s greatest treasure the west-facing window behind the high Altar. This is especially precious, as Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (architect of Londonâ€™s Houses of Parliament) designed it. It was manufactured in Newcastle-on-Tyne, packed in crates, protect*ed by straw and transported to Birr. It was installed in 1842 as the stone above the window signifies. This according to Monsignor Ignatius Murphyâ€™s `History of the Diocese of Killaloeâ€™ makes it the oldest stain glass window in the Diocese. Fr. Spain also invited the Sisters of Mercy to the town. Their founder Ven. Catherine McAuley attended Mass in the church during the winter of 1840-1841. Fr. Spain died of famine fever in 1848 and is buried at the north side of the altar.