Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches
Home › Forums › Ireland › reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches › Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches
NEWS UPDATES FROM ST. MEL’S
15th January 2010 – 3 weeks on from the Christmas Day Fire
Staff from the National Museum of Ireland continue to sift through the debris from the Museum and have found various pieces in differing states of preservation. Among items recovered so far are the 13th Century copper Crozier from Limoges in France; the Wheery Bell originally found near the ruins of a monastery in Ferbane in Co. Offaly; and the Shrine of the Book of Fenagh which dates back to 1536. These have been cleaned and removed for safekeeping by the Museum staff. They will continue to search for other items over the weeks ahead. Work is ongoing at ensuring that all internal walls are sufficiently supported and in due course a temporary covering will be put in place to roof the Cathedral and protect the inside from the elements.