Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

Home Forums Ireland reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

Fearg
Participant

@johnglas wrote:

fearg: thanks for those images; I was particularly intrigued by Armagh. These must be very early photographs, since the ceiling (a particular glory of the present building) is completely undecorated. Also, the sanctuary fittings precede those which were so crudely vandalised before the most recent (and a bit timid) restoration (of sorts). So, Armagh has had FOUR sanctuary fit-outs in its history (a bit like fussy housewives and new kitchens). I wonder who profited from flogging-off all the junked marble and whether any of this was done in consultation with the long-suffering (and no doubt silently despairing) diocesans of Armagh who had to pay for it all.

I’d say taken in the first year, since the organ is also missing (and I believe was first built in 1874, the year after the cathedral opened), also interesting that the south transept was originally screened off, as it is now. Notice too that the aisles were missing their current stone vaulting and that the west gallery is a very simple possibly wooden structure.

I do believe that the 1904 screens were a bit OTT and did clutter the place up somewhat. What do others think?

Latest News