Re: Re: reordering and destruction of irish cathedrals and churches
Home › Forums › Ireland › reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches › Re: Re: reordering and destruction of irish cathedrals and churches
The Holy Name of Jesus, Oxford Road, Manchester
The High Altar
The focal point of the church, was completed by the installation of the altar in 1886 to a design by J.A. Hansonâ€™s son. The reredos of Caen stone contains statues in alabaster of ten Jesuits saints. From left to right they are, St. Ignatius (above), St. Aloysius, St. Francis Jerome, St. John Berchmans, St. Francis Borgia, St. John Nepomucene, St. John Francis Regis, St. Peter Claver, St. Francis Xavier (above), St Stanislaus Kostka. The altar itself is of alabaster inlaid with green Russian malachite. The frontal is based on da Vinciâ€™s â€˜Last Supperâ€™. The five main windows depict the Coronation of Our Lady and are by Hardman of Birmingham (1899).
Th Chapel of St Joseph
The tower as originally designed by Hansom would have been half as high again as the present tower, but was not built due to poor ground conditions under the foundations. The present tower was added as a memorial to Father Bernard Vaughan S.J., Rector of the Holy Name (1888-1901). It is 185ft. high and was completed in 1928 to the designs of Giles and Adrian Gilbert Scott. The tower contains a chime of 15 bells by Gillet and Johnson. A new mechanism was installed in 1995 and plays automatically the Angelus and some twenty hymn tunes as well as bell ringing before Mass etc. There is also a keyboard for manual operation.
The link address is: http://www.holyname.co.uk/