Re: Re: reordering and destruction of irish cathedrals and churches
Home › Forums › Ireland › reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches › Re: Re: reordering and destruction of irish cathedrals and churches
The Church of the the Holy Name of Jesus, Oxford Road, Manchester
Built by Joseph Aloysius Hanson for the Jesuits 1869-1871.
The building, while French neo-gothic of the 14th century, is, at the same time adapted to the post Tridentine liturgical concerns of the Jesuits – clear unobstructed view of the altar (hence slender pillars) and wide enough for easy preaching from the pulpit, emphasis on the Eucharist, and on devotion to the saints associated with the order adn to the Sacred Heart which they strongly promoted as an antidote to Jansenism.
The church is 186 feet East/ West; 112 feet North/South; and 100 feet in interior height.
Cobh Cathedral is 210 East/West; 120feet North/South; and 80 feet in interior height.
Interestingly, the High Altar is in position and in use; as is the pulpit. This clearly indicates the liturgical fraud being pushed in the Cobh development.