Re: Re: How well do you know Dublin?

Home Forums Ireland How well do you know Dublin? Re: Re: How well do you know Dublin?

gunter
Participant

The church was just behind the boundary wall on Swift’s Alley at the back of Chadwick’s yard (Dublin Saw Mills).

1986 revised edition O.S. map

The way I remember it, the roof and gables had been taken off and a large concrete top storey added (in the 30s ?). It either had a flat roof, or possibly no roof at the time that I became conscious of it. Forklift trucks used to whizz around it and a number of other interesting timber roofef sheds at the back of the builders providers, and then one day it was gone.

Around the same time, a Zoe apartment scheme was built opposite the Iveagh Markets on Francis Street that wrapped around the corner into Swift’s Alley and I not sure if the church site wasn’t incorporated into that site. That Zoe development was stalled for years in a half built state and there was talk of planning problems, but I doubt that the church was any part of these problems.

The similarities with St. Mark’s struck me too and the similarities would lead one to conclude that the simple over-hanging gutters and the little stone eaves brackets at St Mark’s may have been a Victorian alteration replacing parapet walls, as here at Swift’s Alley. The parapet walls do reduce the barn like dominance of the roof, which is a bit of a characteristic of St. Mark’s.

Latest News