Re: Re: Dundalk
In 1846, Dundalk was granted by Royal Charter the right to maintain a town primate. The primate was brought to town borough meetings where it was chained to the alderman’s chairs. Under the charter, male primates were called Albert, while females were called Victoria. This practice survived the foundation of the Irish state and was continued until 1962, when it was discontinued after complaints from the ISPCA.
It would seem that this photo dates from the later years of the practice when it was under fire from animal lovers.