Re: Re: Cork Harbour

Home Forums Ireland Cork Harbour Re: Re: Cork Harbour

Anonymous
Inactive

@Praxiteles wrote:

I think that was another Kristall…with two “l”s !!

I jujst knew you would spot that…….

John Locke – Fenian poet and journalist..I didn’t make it up….swear
John Locke himself was born in Minauns, Callan on July 26, 1847. His father was Thomas Locke, an accountant in the leather firm of Mr. Patrick Cody, and his mother was Mary Ryan, a Tipperary woman.
At school John was known as ‘The Little Officer’ because of his black breaded cap, but attracted more attention for his ability to play the game of hurling.
John Locke was regarded as the most stylish hurler that Callan National School had ever seen.
When in school John used to write verses of poetry on slips of paper and went on to have his first of many poems published in 1863 at the age of 16 years. The most famous of these poems was Dawn on the Irish Coast, written in 1877 and later included in school books by the Irish Christian Brothers. He is best remembered in Callan for his poem The Calm Avonree. As a teenager John became involved in the Nationalist movement through his poetry and journalism, and became a prominent figure at Nationalist meetings held in his own county.
During the year 1867 John was arrested and after the formality of a trial was sentenced to six months’ jail in Kilkenny. He was later released on bail but he was determined to continue as a member of the I.R.B.
Locke then visited Manchester and after that to America and continued to be an active Nationalist.
In 1881 John Locke married Mary Cooney – a native of Kilkenny city – in Villanova College in New York. This ceremony was performed by Rev. Dr. Joseph Locke, O.S.A., brother of Jim.
On January 31, 1889 John Locke died at the early age of 42 years.

Latest News